Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie: why so many ICMPs?

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:44:17 +0100

--On 07 July 2004 20:50 -0600 John Bertagnolli <ijbert () mac com> wrote:

I spent yesterday loading Fedora 2, snort and ACID. I have everything
working like I think it's supposed to. When I log into my ACID page, I
see literally hundreds of "ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication
with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited" messages. The
source address is my IP, the destination address varies. These messages
are 90% of what I am seeing in ACID.

I can see these entries logged if I try to ftp to my machine, having ftp
off. My thought is that the service is denied, the ICMP is generated, and
my router is interfering. I have a Netgear ADSL Firewall Router DG834. I
have turned off NAT and added firewall holes to allow all traffic inbound
and output.

Is this a reasonable assumption? I could buy a new ADSL modem. Barring
that, could I turn these responses off, since they aren't getting past my
modem/router? Or is that something I shouldn't do?

You haven't really given us enough details to go on, but my guess is that you're allowing virtually everything in (through your router) from the Internet to your internal hosts, and that these hosts are rejecting incoming portscans and suchlike with the ICMP messages that you're seeing in ACID. Note that if you've enabled the firewall during the Fedora installation, it will, IIRC, generate ICMP Admin Prohibited messages for incoming connections that it rejects.

Thanks,
John

HTH,
Alex.