Snort mailing list archives

Re: Many Events in new SNORT box

From: sekure <sekure () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:29:33 -0400

I hate when that happens...  This is why whenever I set up a new
sensor, i run it for about a weeks or so logging to text, pcap and
unified files, without processing those unified files into the
database. (For the purists, i know i can just log to unified and then
process those into pcap and alert files, it's just easier for me this
way) That gives me a chance to tweak the rulebase without flooding my
database with millions of events.  At the end of the week I can
post-process the unified files into the database if they are fine, or
just delete them.

Anyways, a few times i had to delete around 500K events from my
database, and here is the script i came up with.  I am warning you,
it's not the best way to do things, since I am deleting each event
individually, but I found that this way it doesn't lock the database
and I can still log events while this script is running.

Basically, every event in the database is identified by a combination
of sensor_id (sid) and event_id (cid).  See where it says "select sid,
cid from YOUR QUERY HERE" in the script?  Replace the "YOUR QUERY
HERE" with the query that returns the events that you want to delete.
MAKE SURE TO TEST IT FIRST to make sure it only returns the events you
want deleted.

#!/bin/php -q
<?php
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_user = 'user';
$db_pwd = 'password';
$db_name = 'database';
$db_link = @mysql_connect($db_server, $db_user, $db_pwd) or
exit('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
$db = @mysql_select_db($db_name, $db_link) or exit('Could not select
database: ' . mysql_error());
$select =mysql_query("select sid, cid from YOUR QUERY HERE") or
die(mysql_error());
while($row=mysql_fetch_object($select)) {
        echo "Deleting sid: ". $row->sid . " cid: " . $row->cid . "\n";
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from data where cid='$row->cid'
and sid='$row->sid'") or die(mysql_error());
        $dquery=mysql_fetch_row($delete);
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from iphdr where cid='$row->cid'
and sid='$row->sid'") or die(mysql_error());
        $dquery=mysql_fetch_row($delete);
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from tcphdr where cid='$row->cid'
and sid='$row->sid'") or die(mysql_error());
        $dquery=mysql_fetch_row($delete);
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from udphdr where cid='$row->cid'
and sid='$row->sid'") or die(mysql_error());
        $dquery=mysql_fetch_row($delete);
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from icmphdr where cid='$row->cid'
and sid='$row->sid'") or die(mysql_error());
        $dquery=mysql_fetch_row($delete);
        $delete=mysql_query("Delete from event where cid='$row->cid'
}