Snort mailing list archives

Re: protocols decoded

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:05:31 -0400

Snort decodes/recognizes the following protocols "natively":

Link Layer:
Ethernet
802.11
Raw
Null/loopback
Token Ring
FDDI
Linux SLL
PF log (OpenBSD)
PPPoE
PPP
SLIP
I4L
HDLC

Network Layer:
IPv4
ARP

Transport Layer:
TCP
UDP
ICMP

Other:
EAPOL (802.1x)
EAP (802.1x)
802.1q

At the application layer, we currently have analysis and normalization for ASN.1, Telnet, Sun RPC, and HTTP. All other application layer protocols are handled in the rules language currently. Not to be zen or anything, but Snort's rules language allows us to "decode" (analyze) all protocols by decoding no protocols. We can even look at non-TCP/UDP/ICMP transport layer protocols using the IP protocol option in rules and selecting protocols using the ip_proto keyword.

The side effect of this design is that it's "safe", we can write rules to provide protocol analysis all day long without worrying about buffer overflows in the protocol decoders. Less code = more safety, the design and implementation is simple and rugged (apart from some problems we had early last year) and also allows us to handle emerging threats for protocols that are emerging concerns (like DCERPC) without necessarily having to force everyone through an upgrade cycle.

Anyway, this is kind of a philosophical discussion. I'm happy with the design we've got now although some more preprocessors to handle certain app layer protocols are definitely on the drawing boards.

    -Marty