Snort mailing list archives

eth. sniffing tech. solutions

From: Thomas Zauner <Thomas_Zauner () bayern-mail de>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:10:30 +0200

hello,

i got a question about sniffen the 10mbit connectino between a dsl router and a pptp dialin machine running OpenBSD providing internet access for 2 networks.
I an  IDS   (at ?) to check the traffic.

----------- --- ------------------------------------- <switch1> | router |----- |?|------| OpenBSD (pptp) | ----------- --- -----------------------------------<switch2>

                                    _
diffrent solutions for |?|

                                    --
1) USING AND EHTERNET TAB

there is a "building a passive ehernet tab"-HOWTO on
   the snort homepage and it lokks really easy and cheap
   to build on of these.

   -------------<TAB>-------
                    | |
              ___ | |____
             | 2 NIC's  |
             |+SNORT|
    but i am not convinced OpenBSD bridges do that.
(probably a 3rd nic leading to a managment/secure net to controll
   the IDS and check the data , but thats not the point so i left it out)

2)  JUST PUT A SYSTEM RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE
       _________________
      |   OpenBSD+      |
-------|   SNORT+          |------------------------
      |   2NIC+bridge   |
      ------------------------------
Why not just use a dedicated system (like 500MHZ+515RAM+4GB HD)
    and bride the 2 NICS (NO IP's)   and just "listen on one of them.
This way if u want to react to an alert you coold tear doen the line easy, and also use a firewal (here pf) to do some additional blocking (maybe temporary).

(also in this solution a 3rd NIC leading to a secure managment net would be used)

3) HUBS
      not much diffren from the "homemade TAP" solution i guess
4) manages SPAN switches cant afford it because there are only 12+ ports out there and they are too $$$

solution 2:
                   only negativ thing is that if the IDS breaks down,
                   so does yout internet conn. But hey same applies
                  probably to your firewall and the router too.
solution 4:
                    is very good if you can afford it and if you need it.
solution 1/3:
                    well why not just make a TAB yourself.

But why then are there so many dicussions out there on how to do it ?
CONCLUSION: I HAVE MISSED STH. PLEASE HELP ME. I WOULD LOVE TO RTFM.

thx a lot,
thomas