Snort mailing list archives

RE: One sensor for three switches

From: "Ross Sweetzir" <ross () sweetzir com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:55:40 -0600

You could create a monitoring VLAN on one switch, plug your monitoring
interfaces into this VLAN, and then use 100Bt or better yet a 1000Bt
NIC/ and GBIC to monitor all traffic on that VLAN.  Then you would only
need one NIC in your snort box.
If you need more help on the switch configuration let me know.  This
configuration does eat switch ports, but if you have them spare it might
be easier to manage than multiple NICS.