Snort mailing list archives

Re: No Alers In Windows: Problem with the 'established' flow control element

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:18:26 -0400

Which version of Snort are you running? Try adding the "-k none" switch at the command line and see if that changes anything...

     -Marty

On Jul 30, 2004, at 5:48 PM, Mike wrote:

I have been having problems for the past few days getting snort to work
correctly in windows, mainly getting it to pick up alerts. After fooling with some alerts myself to try and debug it, it seems that snort has some
problem with the "flow:established" option.  For some reason snort is
incorrectly tracking established connections and when I make (for example) a
web request to domain.com/cmd.exe it will only pick up the attack if I
remove the established keyword.

Here is my original mail which contains all the info so I don't forward a
ton of stuff again:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=109114198631743&w=2

It seems this was mentioned a long time ago on the mailing list, but without
resolve:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort- users&w=2&r=1&s=established+flow+worki
ng&q=b

Along with a lot of info on google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF -8&q=flow%3Ae
stablished+not+working

However I can't find if anyone ever resolved this in windows. So any help
would be great!

Mike

--
Sourcefire: Intelligent Security Monitoring
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com