Snort mailing list archives

Re: 1st Attempt at writing some pass rules :-)

From: "Keith W. McCammon" <mccammon () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:39:38 -0400

now, do I make a new file to hold these pass rules, or can I just stuff them in
local.rules?

Stuff 'em in local.rules.  Or use suppress.  I'm plugging this
constantly, because it's a more precise way to deal with these
problems, requires no rule changes, and won't result in as many legit
detects being cast aside.

Also, I was reading something about alerts being processed before pass rules,
so would I need to insert something into snort.conf to make it process PASS,
then ALERT?  Since pass means DROP, it won't do anything with the packet, even
if it sees it, correct?

This is in the documentation.  The -o option does this.

Some friendly advice: Read all of the documentation and FAQs prior to
posting.  Pretty much all of these things are spelled out in these
docs.  It'll save you a lot of time.