Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2GB limit on alert log (For Keith)

From: "Aaron" <snort () microchp org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:27:24 -0700

I knew this would make no sense to those who do things the right way. Don't get me wrong Keith, you are 100% correct.

This is all part of a long, really messed up political thing. I don't much like politics so I just sit back and watch people do stupid sh.t every day.

On the flip side however, the 50GB files are from another application unrelated to snort. That was just an example showing that the file system was not limited to 2GB. Really an obscure reference. If the file were to grow unrestricted, it would be about 3.5 to 5GB per month, of which compresses down really nice. The plan, or at least my plan is to rotate monthly.

Yup... In the world of real time monitoring and fixing stuff, well, this just isn?t there for that. It is to make purdy reports for a few folks. I am supposed to archive the data as well for the goofy ass title of sas-70 type II rating. I so despise doing things in a superficial manner strictly for the purpose of making something look good on paper. How can we get that rating without monitoring stuff you ask? I asked that too. "An owl heard it. An odd dog barked." --D.A.

In reality, you or I would not do something like this and would dedicate at least 5 or 6 people to monitoring and researching alerts. This is just a weird dream, so that ain't happenin.

When I used MySQL, that was great, but honestly I didn?t have the time to monitor it and was not allowed to spend more than 1 hour a day on it. I spent allot of time maintaining the database that nobody could look at. That is why it is now going to the "set it and forget about it" mode, thus the need for snort to keep running even if the logs should grow over the 2GB limit.

I know this answer does not really begin to touch on anything that would satisfy your curiosity. Honestly, if you knew the whole story it would probably make you physically ill as it does me. They keep blowing holes in me ship.

[snip...]
OK. My curiosity is getting the better of me. Why on
earth would you
want a 50GB flat file full of logs? Presumably, at some
point, you
have to move this into a database, otherwise any type of
meaningful
analysis and/or follow-up is not possible, without
modifying the
original log, which is not possible :)
[snip...]