Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't seem to compile with --enable-flexresp on RedHat 9

From: Rhugga <snort-list () sandiego420 com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:40:06 -0700

Matt Kettler wrote:

At 01:08 PM 7/15/2004, Rhugga wrote:

When I add the --enable-flexresp option to configure it dies with this error:

checking for libnet.h... yes
checking for libnet version 1.0.2a... ./configure: line 1: libnet-config: command not found

  ERROR: unable to find libnet 1.0.2a (libnet.h)
  checked in the following places

Do I need the an older libnet, or am I missing part of the package or what? I installed the libnet-1.1.0-fr2.i386.rpm for Red Hat 9.

Currently flexresp works with libnet 1.0.2a, only. It doesn't work with newer, or older versions.

The config file in 2.2.0-RC1 is much more explicit about this than the older released versions:

echo " ERROR! Snort with --enable-flexresp will *only* work with"
      echo "   libnet version 1.0.2a, go get it from"
      echo "   http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/libnet/";

Okay thanks all. What exactly does flexible response allow me to do that I can't do with snort by default? (as I understand snort can execute scripts based on matches and with scripts can't you do everything????)

Thx,
Rhugga