Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID with multiple Sensors?

From: Sean Brown <sblinux () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:13:46 -0600

On September 27, 2004 7:25 am, Bill Warren wrote:
All,

I just got ACID, PHP, MySQL installed on my Snort box.  Then hit it hard
with Nessus to make sure that it works and it does.  When I was reading
the results I saw that I could search multiple senors.  So, my question
is how do I make multiple Snort boxes talk to each other?

Thanks,
Bill
I have snort running on a firewall, I configured 2 instances, on listening on
the internal interface and one on the external, they use different .conf
files so it would be the same as if they were on separate machines. Here is
the mysql line from each:

External:
output database: log,mysql,dbname=snort user=snorter host=192.168.1.2
port=3306 sensor_name=SPARTA_FW_EXT

Internal:
output database: log,mysql,dbname=snort user=snorter host=192.168.1.2
port=3306 sensor_name=SPARTA_FW_INT

As you can see all you have to do is point them at the same database and
assign each one a unique name, with the aptly named sensor_name.

-Sean Brown