Snort mailing list archives

Re: New user question(s)

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:20:12 -0400

Chris wrote:
I've setup snort, modified the snort.conf, have it running, but, reading the FAQ I've got a few questions.
1.  What is the difference in running snortd vice snort w/cl parameters?
2. Reading the FAQ it states to start snort with snort -A full -c snort.conf then in the next line it states:

Note that the default output mode (-A full) of snort should not be used except
in very controlled environments. It is the slowest way to run snort and
presents several hard to recover from problems with inode creation on
filesystems.

So, if this causes problems, how then should snort be started?

You should use unified or binary logging, unified output is preferred
these days since you can get everything you need by post processing the
files using barnyard. The documentation for barnyard is in the tarball
available at snort.org

http://www.snort.org/dl/barnyard/

3. I run no servers on my box. I've set it up in the belief that if would compliment my firewall. If my firewall is working sufficiently in my opinion, then do I even need to run an IDS?

Absolutely needed. Your firewall does not protect from application level attacks and is subject to configuration issues, the IDS is a great compliment to the firewall allowing you to audit what is really happening.

I apologize in advance for the seemingly "dumb newbie questions"