Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help with Snort setup

From: "Harper, Patrick" <patrick.harper () phns com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:10:54 -0500

I have to agree with you on a lot of what you said, but... the setup
guides have helped a lot of people transition over to Linux for security
products.  Some people like this guy seem to have no business running
snort or being responsible for security (at least from what I have seen
from his posts, he may be the brightest guy in the world and just be
having a really really bad week) but others who can read directions and
understand basics benefit from them.  I am a little biased seeing as I
wrote one of them and have seen a lot of people learn more about
security and Linux in general from playing with them.  They just needed
a little help in the beginning, but these people had the will and desire
to learn.  They find Infosec interesting, they stay on mailing lists
like this and try to help people learn and get better at there jobs.
The people that expect the regulars to be a 24/7 tech support with
platinum level support response time are just unrealistic.  I have and
will continue to help as many people as I can learn more about security,
as long as those people take the time to understand what they are doing
and can follow directions when they are doing for the first time and
don't have a clue.  I will also hopefully continue to learn from people
on this list how to better do my job (seeing as a major part of it is
working with IDS)