Snort mailing list archives

Re: I am using Petrick harper's guide still have problems !!

From: Paul Martin <pmartin () hgvc com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:36:31 -0400

Juan Fernandez wrote:

I tried the command an hour ago:

This is what I recive:

[root@snort_jr_dmz snortinstall]# yum install openssl
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
openssl is installed and is the latest version.
No actions to take

I cant belive this is happening to me....
I find it all too easy that this is happening to you. You've not followed the advice of others, which is basically to read the HOWTOs that others (Patrick, I'm looking at you here) have written to assist us in getting this software installed. Many here have tried to tell you that you need to understand the operating system that you're working in before installing programs on your own, without the help of others.

I found that it says the same about allmount all the dependencis in looking
for.

I cant belive I will need to reinstall a sensor just because of dependencis
problems. Now I understand why nobody uses Linux.
a) This isn't a dependency issue, this is an issue of you not being familiar with linux - you've admitted as much yourself in an earlier email. And to be honest, if this system isn't being used for anything BUT a sensor, then wiping it out and starting from scratch and following Patrick's install guide would be the best thing for you. You'd be DONE by now, and your boss would be off your back.
b) And you're attacking linux due to your own ignorance?  Weak.

Maybe to insert the distribution cd's and install every package ?

I must get it working !!!

What happens when you type "find / -name libssl.so.0*" ? When I do this, I find that I have the file in /lib. If you have it somewhere different, then try to either copy it into the /lib directory, or symlink it, like: "ln -s /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 /wherever/you/found/it". You shouldn't have to do this, though.
Seriously though, do yourself a HUGE favor, and start from scratch.  It'll work just fine, and you'll have a MUCH
easier time maintaining the box later on down the line.