Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fork of ACID

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:48:56 -0400

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 05:30, Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS wrote:
Hi -

--On 08 September 2004 21:43 -0400 Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
wrote:

I have just started working on a fork of the ACID project.

A few friendly comments:

Hi-

I appreciate the feedback and have tried to answer inline....

1) It looks as though you've started from ACID-0.9.6b23. If you're
attempting to revitalise development on ACID, wouldn't it have been better
to start with a CVS snapshot from ACID, which incorporates a post-0.9.6b23
bugfixes and improvements? <http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidlab/>

I have no answer other then "oops you are right".... I will be adding
those patches in the next release.

2) As well as Snortcenter, you should note that other packages incorporate
ACID and patch it (e.g. OS-SIM - <http://www.ossim.net>). By forking ACID
(and renaming it BASE), you make it hard for people to use BASE instead of
ACID as many of them won't have the capability to modify and merge patches
themselves. Also, I've written a number of patches for ACID which I was
planning on submitting back once I was happy they work as expected. I've
probably not got the time to target both ACID and BASE. Until BASE has
significant functionality over-and-above ACID, I'll probably target ACID
only.

Yes I had realized that other projects had incorporated ACID.  We
created a SnortCenter patch because it was what I used right this second
on my test machine.  I will be trying to collect a list of the projects
and contacting them.  Where possible, our project will try to help port
their patches.  As to which people should target, I would prefer them to
target our project since it has an active development team but realize
that we are the new kids.  As to new functionality,  we are working on
quite a few new features and will let everyone know as things firm up.

2) Did you attempt check with Roman before forking? The last I heard was
that despite the hiatus in ACID releases, he was planning to come back with
a new version of ACID.

Yes, I wrote to both of his published email addresses.  I received no
response.  I also talked with others who had the same.  Once I started
the project I posted to the ACID users group and still received no
answer.

Again thanks for your time,
Kevin Johnson
BASE project admin