Snort mailing list archives

PLEASE HELP !!!!! How to start mysql client on the sensor?please help !!!!!!!!!

From: Juan Fernandez <Juan.Fernandez () deltathree com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 00:39:08 +0300

Hi,

I installed mysql on a fedora acting as a sensor as following:

(I downloaded mysql-standard-4.1.1-alpha-pc-linux-i686).

./configure --without-server --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't

need to configure it!

To help you a bit, I am now going to create the needed MySQL databases

and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run into any trouble, please

consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in the Docs directory.

Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server

to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !

This is done with:

./bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h sensor-Jr-lan password 'new-password'

See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run

the ./bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be

able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:

cd . ; ./bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:

cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at

http://www.mysql.com

Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

Starting the mysqld server.  You can test that it is up and running

with the command:

./bin/mysqladmin version

[root@sensor-Jr-lan mysql-standard-4.1.1-alpha-pc-linux-i686]# Starting
mysqld daemon with databases from
/snortinstall/mysql-standard-4.1.1-alpha-pc-linux-i686/data

040908 22:17:58  mysqld ended

How I start it on boot time? I read that I need to "copy
support-files/mysql.server

to the right place for your system"  but what is the right place ? in order
to that this machine passes the sql to the main management server ( with
acid) is it enough to just configure snort.conf or I need also to configure
something in the sql client on this client ?

please help !!

thanks !!