Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.2.0, MS-SQL Server 2000, ODBC

From: Paul Martin <pmartin () hgvc com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:54:29 -0400

I've installed Snort/Apache/RH/MySQL according to Patrick Harper's HOWTO on the Snort page, and everything's been working just fine. Unfortunately, now the PTBs want to migrate our databases to MSSQL as opposed to MySQL. I understand that Snort does not support MSSQL natively under linux, and as such, I need to use the ODBC option. I've recompiled Snort with ODBC support, with no problem. I compiled and installed the ODBC interface from www.unixodbc.org, which make'd and installed just fine. However, now I need to configure it so that the ODBC will communicate with the MSSQL server.

The instructions say that it is very similar to the Data Sources: ODBC under windows. The only problem is that I am running this Snort server sans WM. No GUI. So I have to configure this beast command-line. Or do I? All I know is that whenever I run "snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf", I get:

ERROR: database: ODBC unable to connect.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Any advice?  This is driving me nuts.

--
Paul Martin