Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql on another box?

From: Sean Brown <sblinux () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:52:21 -0600

On August 31, 2004 8:28 am, Larry Wichman wrote:
I am trying to get snort to log to another box that has MySQL on it and the
box that has Snort does not have MYSQL. It does not seem to be logging to
it. I get the following error when  I start Snort w/ snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf:

Initializing rule chains...

database: compiled support for ( )

database: configured to use mysql

database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort

Do I still have to have MYSQL running on the sensor even though tit is
logging somewhere else?

Here is what I put in snort.conf to tell it to log to the other box:

output database:log,mysql,user=snort password=Ournetwork* dbname=root
host=10.25

5.55.11
It seems that MySQL support was not built into your binary. You need to have
the MySQL-Client library and headers on the Snort machine and have a snort
binary that was compiled with mysql support. For instance if you have two
rpms, one will be named snort-[verson].rpm and snort-mysql-[version].rpm you
would need the snort-mysql and mysql-client packages installed.

-Sean Brown