Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Cisco 6509

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:27:27 -0600

However SNORT is not able to detect any alerts other than those to its own interface. So
if we were to scan snort it would show up, but if we tried to scan the firewall it would
not show up. The IP address of Snort is the same as the 100Mbit port on the 6509 is put on
the Vlan that snort was configured. I noticed that the NIC was not in promiscuous mode so I
set it to be in promiscuous mode.

The output of the show span from the 6509 is
CJ_6509> (enable) show span

Destination     : Port 3/8
Admin Source    : Port 7/15
Oper Source     : Port 7/15
Direction       : transmit/receive
Incoming Packets: enabled
Learning        : enabled
Multicast       : disabled
Filter          : -
Status          : active

Total local span sessions:  1

Not sure what the problem might be other then we've used port mirroring
on other 6509's without a problem.

Might check to make sure snort is actually plugged into 3/8 and the
firewall in 7/15. I believe you can also port mirror the entire vlan
if you'd like to try that.

Rich