Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #4234 - 12 msgs

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:36:01 -0400

When you say your ISP I assume you mean a cable provider or similar and that you are connected with a machine that you control and have root access to. This would have to be the case for you to run snort on a linux variant so I will continue on that assumption.

The ISP can not prevent you from installing a database and webserver for use locally on your system to make analysis easier, they may prevent you from accessing it from the internet at large but I suspect that this is an AUP issue and not that they are blocking things. if they were actually blocking things I would expect your snort logs to be fairly quiet and analysis at the shell should be trivial.

I have not used snortalog so I cannot comment on it's usefulness however you might want to look at ACID and the installation manuals linked off of snort.org in the docs section

http://www.snort.org/docs/

attechni wrote:

Thanks for the links Jason . I was trying to check out the http://www.sourcefire.com/services/training.html link but could not find the prices for the training. Does any one know where on the site I could find the prices for training? Also I found this link for snortalog at http://jeremy.chartier.free.fr/snortalog/config.html#dependencies It looks like I do'nt have to run a SQL server or any other type of server to run this. Has any one else ran this program? And if so is it as great as it looks for snort log analysis? Because I have been manually looking through the logs because my ISP does'nt allow me to run a server. Could I get help through this list installing this(snortalog)? I am running a Linux Mandrake 9.1 system.
 Thanks attechni