Snort mailing list archives

Rules with multiple contents specified

From: "gurmeet singh" <gmeetsingh () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 04:56:04 +0000

Hi,

I am new to the snort. Can some one tell me when multiple contents are specified in a rule as in the following rule, what does it mean? Does it mean that all the contents MUST be matched and does it also mean that they should be in the same sequence as specified in the rule or the sequencing does not matter (for e.g for the following rule, "uid=" and "(web)" should they be in the same sequence or "(web)" can be before "uid=".

alert tcp $HTTP_SERVERS $HTTP_PORTS -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned web"; flow:from_server,established; content:"uid="; content:"(web)"; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:1884; rev:2;)

Thanks
GM