Snort mailing list archives

IMAP Auth Literal Overflow

From: Sonika Malhotra <sonikam () magnum barc ernet in>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:46:03 +0530

Hello List,

I have found recently "imapd: Login failed user=admin auth=admin host=natserver..." lines in the mail server logs. The point of concern is that sometimes it appears very frequently. ( 1 line / 2 sec)
imapd IMAP4REV1
snort 2.1.3RC1

First I want some help to frame a rule in the snort to find the source of the problem.

Second I have also observed a lot of "IMAP AUTH literal Overflow " alerts in the snort logs. Does this signify some alerting situation? How do I go about tracing the source of the problem.

Regards
Sonika