Snort mailing list archives

RE: Log file owned by root problem

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:28:36 -0500

Hi,

Snort seems to start fine but the problem is when the log
files are written the uid/gid is root/root I need them to be
snort/snort. My startup line is as follows,

snort -c /etc/snort/snort_eth0/snort.conf -i eth0 -u snort -g
snort

Shouldn't this output a log file with uid/gid snort/snort.
All dirs and files are uid/gid snort/snort and anything else
I could think of.

If anyone has any suggestion I would greatly appreciate them.

TIA

Dan

snort opens the log file for writing prior to dropping privs to the
UID/GID specified on the commandline.  There is a long explanation as to
why this is, but I am not the one to explain it.

There is, however, a workaround. add a -m 022 to tell snort to use a
umask of 022 for the logfile.

-steve