Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: same problem as you

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:52:33 +0200

Hi Snorty,

Since last time I failed - same of everything, I
havent tried, and havent seen any message about why
we can't do it.

Please, anyone, if you know why we can not upgrade to
2.1.1 from 2.0.6 snort on Solaris 8, do let us know,
even some intelligent guessing would help.

the error messges explains it at all:

#/snort/snort-2.1.1# snort -V
ld.so.1: snort: fatal: libpcre.so.0: open failed: No
such file or directory
Killed
Can you share some idea where might have gone wrong
please?
I have libpcre.so.0 under /usr/local/lib, and
/usr/local/bin, could it be a version issue?

The dynmic linker does not find the needed library.
On Solaris the /usr/local/lib path is not searched
for dynamic libraries by default.

Use either the linker flag -R:/usr/local/lib
or set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib and
restart snort again. You can set this variable also
on the command line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib snort -V

or you can use LD_PRELOAD to preload the needed library.

Best regards

Dirk