Snort mailing list archives

Re: Content string search across packets

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:27:12 -0400

At 04:39 PM 4/29/2004, sowdambiga karthikeyan wrote:
I have a general question about the content string search in snort. Does snort
support searching for a string across multiple packets. For eg. can we search
for a string "ABCDEF" where "ABC" is present in one packet and "DEF" is present
in the next packet.

Depends on what kind of packet you're talking about.

If it's TCP, and no actual data is sent back by the other end in between, then in general stream4 should cover you there with no special effort. Stream4 will re-assemble packets of a TCP stream up into hunks and run them down at least 2 packets at a time, and more than 2 at a time if the packets are small.

With tcp you run into trouble when people try do do things like look for "abc" and then try to find "def" 20k later in the data stream. Stream4 doesn't work in such a way that you can search an entire tcp session as if it were one gigantic packet, you're pretty much limited to about 3k of data at most.

If you're talking udp packets, or there's some kind of acknowledgement in between, then you'll need to use tagging to allow you to chain two separate rules together to generate an alert.