Snort mailing list archives

RE: Are there known bugs in the odbc output plugin WRT FreeTDS and unixODBC? (more debug info)

From: "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:28:24 -0500

Well, I've got another update, but I'm seriously finding moss on both sides of the trees now...

I tried configuring freeTDS to use different versions of the TDS protocol. No difference with 7.0, but when I tried
4.2, it got past the point where it was breaking. But then it ran smack into some other issue. Now I get the following
snort error on startup (using any TDS protocol version):

Apr 29 09:11:18 aopsecurityserver snort: FATAL ERROR: database: The underlying database has not been initialized
correctly.  This
        version of Snort requires version 106 of the DB schema.  Your DB           doesn't appear to have any records
in the 'schema
' table.           Please re-run the appropriate DB creation script (e.g. create_mysql,           create_postgresql,
create_oracle,
create_mssql) located in the           contrib\ directory.            See the database documentation for cursory
details (doc/README
.database).           and the URL to the most recent database plugin documentation.
Apr 29 09:11:18 aopsecurityserver kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode

Mind you, the database is, in fact, correctly configured, as I can tell from the Windows side. However when I try to
run 'SELECT vseq from schema' in isql, I get the following error:

SQL> select vseq from schema
[][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared.
[][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'schema'.
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLExecute

But if I do 'SELECT vseq from "schema"', it works fine... But only under TDS versions 7.0 or 8.0... Under 4.2, I get:

SQL> select vseq from "schema"
[37000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'schema'.
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLExecute

Does anybody know if this is relevant to the problem?

                Thanks
                        John
this email is prohibited.