Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fatal Error, Quitting..

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:49:12 +1200

dlimanov () sct com writes:

   For some reason my snort install is blowing up loading rules file with
   the following error:
   "ERROR: Unable to open rules file: local.rules or
   /etc/snort/local.rules
   Fatal Error, Quitting.."
   The problem here that it's trying to load the rules from /etc/snort/
   and it's not there, since rules are located in /etc/snort/rules/
   directory. I have checked my snort.conf file and for the life of me
   cannot see where it's getting /etc/snort/ from!
   Is there any other place where snort will get it's configuration, even
   when I run like this: snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf ? Is there some
   other config location that I'm missing?

Specify the right snort.conf file with -c on the command line if you
need to. Then in snort.conf:

# Path to your rules files (this can be a relative path)
var RULE_PATH /etc/rules

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer