Snort mailing list archives

Re: Password characters that snort does not like

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:39:26 -0400

At 10:25 AM 4/22/2004, Harper, Patrick wrote:
It seems to be that certain characters do not work well in the
snort.conf.  If you set the password for mysql to something with
characters like !@#$%& it does not like them. And snort will not start
with that .conf file. I have not had the time to go one by one and find
the exact offending characters are but hope to soon.  Does anyone have a
list of these? Or maybe it is a combination or certain string that
should not be used.

I don't know which characters are the problem, but based on my experience with snort I'd suggest that it is likely a list of specific characters that aren't allowed to be used without escaping them... What's likely happening is snort's parser treats certain characters as syntax elements and get's confused by them.

I suspect that if you want to use "pa$$word" as a password, you'd have to enter "pa\$\$word" to escape them.

Good candidates for characters requiring escaping are characters that are used as rule punctuation elements. The list I can think of and find by searching the docs and snort.conf are: