Snort mailing list archives

RE: Simple FTP Login Request rule.........................

From: JPP <jpp () frws com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:11:38 -0700

>Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>>At 03:41 PM 4/1/2004, JPP wrote:>
>>
>>Anyone have a rule to capture and alert on FTP login requests ONLY?>
>The rules we currently have capture either all FTP's inbound and >>generate a lot of entries at times, and the standard rules in >ftp.rules >which to this point have generated none.
>>
>>A rule I have tried (in several variations) goes something like:
>>alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"FTP Password/Login attempt" \
>>   flow:to_server,established; content:"Password"; nocase;)
>>
>>I fooled around with the wording,
>>added content:"USER"; nocase;
>>and/or
>>added content:"ogin"; nocase;
>>and still not a single hit when I log onto a server. I SEE Password: >>when I log in manually so obviously something in my logic or my >>general >understanding of rules is lacking. >>>Any wise rule writers out there that can assist would be greatly >>>appreciated!
>

>Your head is turned around looking backwards... [:)]
>
>All those strings don't go to the server... they come _from_ the server >and go to the client.. so of course your rule isn't firing..
>
>Re-write your rule's sense of direction using something like this >instead:
>
>alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> any any (msg:"FTP Password/Login prompt >outbound" \
>   flow:from_server,established; content:"Password"; nocase;)

Thanks Matt

Final rule that works for both SSH and FTP (and presumably for POP and the like) is:

alert tcp $HOME_NET 20:21 -> any any  (msg:"FTP Password/Login prompt
   outbound" flow:from_server; content:"Password"; nocase;)

(format to fit your screen!)

Thanks again. *adds that to library of never ending knowledge*

JPP