Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snortsam log to database and correlation with snortdb

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:55:46 -0500

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 05:24, Chan Kien Eng wrote:
Did anyone has done this before: logging the snortsam logs to a database
and do some sort of co-relation between it?

Never thought of it since it is the Snort alert that causes Snortsam to
block. What do you need to correlate?

The idea is to answer the question: How do I know that when the
signatures is triggered, snortsam is actually doing the firewall
blocking? Of course we can do it manually by comparing the snortsam logs
and the snort logs from ACID etc, but this is too manual and its time
consuming. I'll trying to look something that can make life easier :)

Email plugin perhaps?

I'll be adding a syslog plugin to Snortsam sometime this summer. Perhaps
that can be used. (You could even force that into a database with
syslog-ng or similar).

I'm not sure that Snortsam really needs a SQL plugin. Seems too
redundant.

Regards,
Frank

--
Warning at the Gates of Bill:
Abandon hope, all ye who press <ENTER> here...