Snort mailing list archives

[Snort-Users] differentiate between eth0 and eth1

From: eamonn doyle <edoyle () faxsr com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:23:07 -0500

Hello snort users!

I am new to snort and have what I am sure is a very simple question at least
for you folks.  I have a single snort box with 2 ethernet cards, and 2 snort
processes running.  I start the process from within the directory where
snort.conf resides:

/usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -D
/usr/local/bin/snort -i eth1 -D

I am logging very simply to the /var/log/messages file, and would like to know
if there is a way to differentiate between each interface that is snorting.
From what I see in messages it is not obvious to me that I can.

Apr  1 14:54:53 snort1 snort: [1:1917:4] SCAN UPnP service discover attempt
[Classification: Detection of a Network Scan] [Priority: 3]: {UDP}
172.16.45.94:1037 -> 172.16.1.2:1900

What does  [1:1917:4] mean/stand for

I run some simple bash scripts to parse the files every hour and report back
on priority 1 entries.

My network is very simple, the 2 nics are watching 2 t-1 circuits from
different providers:

 network diagram in very lame ascii art format, I hope it comes out readable.

        cloud                                                           cloud
        internet1                                               internet2
        t-1                                                             t-1
          |                                                              |
          cisco                                                         cisco
          2611                                                          3640
          172.16.1.1                                             |
          |                                                              |
          |                  snort-box                           |
          |  172.16.2.59-eth0 172.16.2.60-eth1    |
          |                      |       |                              PIX
          |                      |       |                              172.16.1.2
          |                      |       |                              |
          hub--------------|       |----------------------hub
                               48 port Switch
                               the network
                               172.16.0.0