Snort mailing list archives

Re: Chat/IM

From: Mark.Schutzmann () Omron com
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:19:42 -0500

Krisa,

As this is a fairly frequently asked question, I am suprised that we still
have not gotten a good answer. I can tell you that I have successfully been
blocking P2P and Chat for a while now using a few combination layers of
security. I am working to develop a document that will hopefully outline
this in more detail. For now, I can tell you that I am using firewall rules
to block Yahoo, MSN and AIM/ICQ servers in combination with a customized
block list for Snort with FlexResp and NTop to monitor any additional chats
that crop up. Please let me know if a solution like this would be worth the
documentation.

Best Regards,
Mark

                      "Rowland, Krisa W

                      ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor"             To:       "'snort-users () lists sourceforge net'"
<snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
                      <Krisa.W.Rowland@erdc.usace.        cc:

                      army.mil>                           Subject:  [Snort-users] Chat/IM

                      Sent by:

                      snort-users-admin () lists sour

                      ceforge.net

                      04/13/2004 02:26 PM

Does anyone have an effective way of blocking chat/IM?

Krisa Rowland
ERDC Information Assurance Team
(SAIC Contractor)
3909 Halls Ferry Rd.,  Bldg. 8000