Snort mailing list archives

Portscan Detection

From: eric-dated-1083277626.193075aa63e273 () catastrophe net
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:08:07 -0500

For those using snort on extremely busy networks or academic
networks, what type of portscan rulesets are you using? We have
about 8000 nodes on our network and see scans going by all day long,
but would like to keep reports down to a minimum...maybe like once
an hour...and do it only with snort and other tools such as grep,
awk, sed, etc..

We've gotten fairly good at thresholding scans to 135/tcp and other
normal noise by requiring 520 connections in 600 seconds, etc., but
would like to know how other folks are doing it :)

Thanks.

- Eric