Snort mailing list archives

RE: Setting up notifications in Snort

From: "Alan" <ids () san rr com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:00:24 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net]On Behalf Of Harper, Patrick
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 1:37 PM
To: pmartin () hgvc com; snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Setting up notifications in Snort

4 of us here in Dallas want to work on a perl script that can be run as a
cron job and mail a summery of events form a specified time period.  but
there is no time frame on that.  you can use swatch for e-mail alerts.  I
tried it some time ago but have slept since then and do not remember much
about it.

For your second question that is dependent on your environment, the location
of your sensors, and what you want to see.  do you want to see only alerts
for software that you are running (i.e. apache only because you have no iis,
then turn off all the iis rules, do that for the entire rule set).  Do you
have a sensor on the outside of your firewall and want to see all malicious
traffic, turn all of them)  I personally prefer a trim rule set that matches
what I have on my network.

Patrick S. Harper | CISSP RHCT MCSE
Information Security Engineer
patrick.harper () phns com