Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on an OpenBSD firewall

From: Sean Brown <sblinux () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:29:18 -0600

On June 28, 2004 06:17 pm, Matt Kettler wrote
At 03:29 PM 6/28/2004, Sean Brown wrote:
 If i read the documentation right, i should be
able to have snort listen on pflog0 and just cpture and watch the traffic
thats regected by my firewall, which is handy because snort isn't then
logging all the arp traffic that shows up on the line.

You can do that, however, snort won't issue alerts very often this way.

Most of the snort rules look for data patterns in established tcp
connections.. firewalled packets will never be a part of such a thing, so
all rules with "flow: established" will never fire.

Quite frankly, your approach strikes me as defeating 99% of the usefulness
of an IDS. I actually take the exact opposite approach and snort only
traffic which makes it past my first firewall.

let's face it, the most valuable information an IDS can provide you is
telling you about attack attempts that are getting past your firewall
because they are part of a connection to a legitimate service. Overflow
attempts on your mailserver, webserver, etc generally go right past
firewalls, and are the kind of thing that IDS/IPS products are really
designed to detect and is what makes them useful.

If you want to know about malicious attacks that your firewall is blocking,
your firewall logs will tell you that pretty well. Snort won't tell you
much about firewalled packets that your firewall logs won't. Sure you can
snort this stuff to get all the information in one place, but it's somewhat
redundant and hardly critical.
OK I can understand that, and if this was more of an important thing, then I
probably would just have it listen on the raw interfaces, actually I probably
will.
This is at home though on my own network, and I'm running Snort at the moment
pretty much just to play around right now, though I am interested in what my
firewall is doing. Since I'm just learning it, and the FAQ says I should be
able to listen on pflog0 and read the pflog files, I'm wondering what I did
that its not. After a weekend of searching and trying different things, I had
to break down and ask.
Having all the logs in one place might be redundant, but it really makes using
them a whole lot easier.

-Sean Brown