Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort 2.1.x support on Win32

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:17:19 -0600

Seems Winpcap has at least some dependencies on other network drivers
installed on each machine. When I attempted using v3.0 early releases,
the Win2kPro system became very unstable, blue screened, etc. V2.1 was
the only pcap that was stable, which is still what I'm using. (In my
case the v3.0 stability problem had something to do with NAI Sniffer
driver compatibility; the last one I tried was v3.0.a4.) I wouldn't
even hazard a guess as to which versions of Winpcap might have issues
with various specialized vendor drivers. I do have several other snort
systems running later winpcap with no issues, however those don't have
Sniffer drivers installed either. For the Win2kPro box, the v2.1 driver
has been stable since snort v1.8 or so.

Rich

Really?  How did you do this?

Sorry for the inquisitive question but I buggered at this for a while
with one of the older 2.0.x somethings just no way working with
Winpcap2.1. but working with a 3.0 alpha if I recall.  Did you skip this
version tree all together??

TIA!

J.