Snort mailing list archives

Passive email archive

From: Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:32:29 -0400

This is more of a general network sniffer inquiry than snort-specific, but I
thought it would still be appropriate for this list.

I'm trying to come up with an elegant solution to archiving corporate email
without mucking with the actual MTA's themselves. My first idea was to just
use a network sniffer to capture all the inbound and outbound mail traffic
with specific To and From fields. Capturing the traffic doesn't seem to be
the problem though. It's the storage part.

It's not very convienent to have the emails saved in a standard dumpfile as
packets. Too difficult to parse through the archive when you need to find a
specific email. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a snort/tcpdump/whatever
to save captured mail traffic as actual text mail files in a maildir type
format?

--
Miles Stevenson
miles () mstevenson org