Snort mailing list archives

Re: Windows32 Snort without WPcap.dll?

From: Steven Bairstow <sab139 () psu edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:16:08 -0400

At 1:13 PM -0400 6/14/04, Keith W. McCammon wrote:
No can do, as far as I'm aware.  Even if you're using the built-in Windows packet analysis tool, you need to install
their capture driver.   Over-simplification follows...

Under normal circumstances, an application would open up a socket for network communication, and the stack then keeps
track of these sockets and binding applications.  When you're running a capture engine, you're asking for a copy of
every packet that crosses the stack, independent of the application.  Thus, you need a special driver.

Steven Bairstow wrote:

--

Steven Bairstow
Computer and Network Services - Abington College - Penn State University

"No trees were killed in the creation of this message.
However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced."