Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort IDS OUTPUT TO PRINTER

From: "Jerry Shenk" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:34:09 -0400

Paper...paper....I remember people talking about that.

I can't imagine why you'd want to do this but sure, that would work.
I'm not 100% sure how to make it work but here are two ideas.  You
definitely achieve both of these goals.

For the alert bell - I'd probably have swatch monitor the alert file and
"bell" whenever it saw the start of a new "alert paragraph".

For the printout - do something like "tail -f /var/log/snort/alert >
/dev/prn"  The tail program is designed to read the last few lines of a
file.  Using the -f parameter causes it to keep reading as the file is
appended to.  The ">" is to redirect the data to the printer device.