Snort mailing list archives

RE: Testing Snort?

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:09:30 -0400

Hello,
Can anyone recommend some tools for generating traffic that *should*
trigger some snort alerts, so that I can make sure Snort is correctly
catching all the different types of alerts that it has rules for?

Jeff Schmidt

--

Hello,

If you have appropriately vulnerable test targets, I suggest using the
Metasploit framework (www.metasploit.org).  They offer almost two
dozen well-tested exploits and a variety of backdoors, all called
within Perl.[0]

I wrote about Metasploit in my Blog in April.[1]

To see reliable exploits in action in a controlled environment, you
can't beat it.

Good luck,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com