Snort mailing list archives

upriviileged snort user (was Re: (no subject))

From: Ken Gunderson <kgunders () teamcool net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:30:23 -0600

On Saturday 05 June 2004 11:46 am, Mike Cohen wrote:
Hello ,

Im new to snort, and Im trying to create a snort box that runs as a
non root user.
I have a user    snort   which is in the group snort_group.
I have given the snort_group ownership to the /var/log/snort
directory and the /etc/snort directory.

whenever I try to start snort as any non root user I get the
following.  If I use root, or sudo I can start the program fine.  Im
guessing I need access to the eth0 interface or some particular file
or directory somehwere that is associated with starting sniffing on
eth0

Can someone help me with this?

Suse 9
Snort 2.12

snort@Myserver:/etc/snort> snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -u
snort -g snort_group
Running in IDS mode
Log directory = /var/log/snort

Initializing Network Interface eth0
ERROR: OpenPcap() device eth0 open:
        socket: Operation not permitted
Fatal Error, Quitting..

any help is appreciated.

M.C.

Looks like your user is not allowed to put the interface into
promiscuous mode.  Try doing this manually as root, e.g. ifconfig eth0
promisc  Then see if snort will launch as your unprivileged user.  If
so, then you need to add snort user to whatever group Suse uses for
such privileges.  Else you may also be able to do it via a login.conf
setting.

Also, it really helps if you give your inquiries a meaningful subject
heading.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson
GPG Key-- 9F5179FD

"Freedom begins between the ears."      -- Edward Abbey