Snort mailing list archives

RE: When does snort/ACID do DNS lookups

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <atd () secnetops com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:47:08 -0400

Dave,
    If memory serves me correctly ACID actually has a dns cache table in the
schema.  Sounds like its not updating the DNS names in the cache, does a one
time lookup and boom. The reason for this because DNS queries take a long
time.  Imagine doing queries on every IP address every time a page is
displayed?  It would take for ever to load. We've actually had to overcome
similar issues with our IDS software.  The trick is to know when a name has
changed and to be able to update that record in the cache as quickly as
possible...  Anyway, that's my two cents on the issue.  The DNS cache
capability is needed, but doesn't appear to be bug free. ;)

Adriel T. Desautels
Secure Network Operations
Embracing the future of technology, protecting you.
Office: 978-263-3829    Fax: 978-263-3313
atd () secnetops com   www.secnetops.com