Snort mailing list archives

Bug with pcap filters?

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 05:09:10 +1200

Hi there

I run Nessus on the same server that we have snort installed on, and

obviously this causes snort to trigger heaps. As I know it's Nessus, I

decided to stop snort triggering by using a pcap filter:

snort .... not esp and not host FQDN_of_Snort_server

This works fine.

However, obviouly that stops snort seeing anyone attacking the snort server

too, so I thought I'd change it to only ignore packets coming FROM the

snort/Nessus server

snort ... not esp and not src host FQDN_of_Snort_server

This doesn't work - snort now triggers when Nessus runs, and the srcip is

definitely the correct IP address. I am wondering if the stream

preprocessors are overriding the filter?

This is snort-2.1.2

--

Cheers

Jason Haar

Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417