Snort mailing list archives

Re: system setup for SNORT: looking for recommendation

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:50:01 +0100

--On 28 May 2004 16:36 -0400 "Jeff Schmidt (CACL Tech Asst)" <schmidje () oplin org> wrote:

Hello,
   I'm setting up a pc with OpenBSD for the purpose of using it as an
NIDS system with SNORT. I've been reading a lot of documentation, but
here are a few questions that I have not come across answers to:

Realistic system requirements: We are trying to do ID on a network with
about 2 dozen computers, so it's not a huge network. However, being at a
public library, each of the individual computers does get quite a bit of
traffic. How much disk space should I set aside for SNORT to record data
about network activity? And under what filesystem? It appears that SNORT
basically saves it's logs and data in /var/log/snort, so I'm guessing I
want to partition my hard drive so that /var has most of the available
space? The server currently has 128MB ram - is this sufficient? It has a
PII-400Mhz processor - is that fast enough to do the real-time analysis
of network traffic that is necessary?

To give you a performance point, I've currently got snort monitoring a link that peaks at around 45Mbits/s for a few hours each day with 0% packet loss. I'm using nearly the entire rule set. Snort's logging anywhere from 20 to 80 alerts/s. MySQL and ACID are running on the same host (for now, at least).

And I'm doing this all on a single processor P4 1.7GHz with 512M of memory and a single IDE disc.

I'm using Linux, rather than BSD. I haven't had to do much in the way of performance tweaks:

- enable IDE DMA
- mount /var with noatime flag
- increase amount of memory allocated to MySQL
- use one of the spool processors between snort and the database (i.e. mudpit, barnyard or FLoP - I use mudpit for now) - compile snort with Phil Wood's modified libpcap which uses Linux's mmap mode for packet capture.

Ultimately, the power you require will be a function of

a) the number of rules you have enabled
b) the volume and rate of traffic
c) the number of concurrent sessions

Jeff Schmidt