Snort mailing list archives

Re: About virus.rules

From: nt <anaysia2003 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 01:58:19 -0700 (PDT)

Everyone on the list has made some good points about the virus/worm rules. I work for a computer service co. and I have
seen many pc's be infected by virus some do not have av software and others just do not update or know much about it to
get auto updates.  I think where the virus rules should go is more toward finding infected computers on the internal
network.  Realistically virus coming in really don't bother me but If I see some virus activity going from IN>Out then
I am concerned about the alert.

etienne.causse () pierre-fabre com wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently working on a Snort deployment project in my company, and I am
wondering about rules which allow to see virus signatures.
In my rule set (downloaded from snort.org) I see :
"# NOTE: These rules are NOT being actively maintained.
# These rules are going away. We don't care about virus rules anymore."

Although, I see that there are more rules than the only one listed in this
file on snort.org.

So my question is quite simple : why is there no support for virus rules
any more ?
I have added some of the rules I found which allowed me to find some
signatures of Sasser worm in my network. And I think it could be very cool
to use Snort for monitoring worm propagation, as it could allow me to see
the infected hosts quickly.

Thanks for your answers.

Etienne.