Snort mailing list archives

snort-wireless on Linksys WRT54G

From: wireless <wireless () sgdn pm gouv fr>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:31:03 +0200

Steffen Pfendtner wrote:

Hi,

I've succesfully compiled Snort 2.1.1 with the wireless patch
for Linksys WRT54G Access Point. For those who don't know this device,
it's common and cheap AP which runs Linux.

It seems like i'm runnign in some memory problems. The the device has 16
MB main memory at all. Currently I have roghly 5 MB left.

Anyone with an idea how to reduce the memory consumption of snort?

This error is what appears on snort startup:
Allocating memory for WifistateTable...
ERROR: WSTDoTable failed to map requested length into memory: Cannot
allocate memory
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Thanks for your help!
Steffen Pfendtner

Hi Steffen,

Default lenght for wifi_statetable is 218.
Which means that if you are using all 3 preprocessors requiring it, you will need
around 10 MB.
If you wan't to reduce this, you 'll have first to edit src/wifi_statetable.h file.
Then, replace  WST_LENGHT  value by 1<<10 instead of 1<<18.
Do make clean and compile again.
Now wifi _statetable will require 39 KB.
By this way you will reduce memory consumption for around 10 MB.

Sébastien.