Snort mailing list archives

RE: how to handle this problem

From: "Corey Rock" <snort_sigs () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 16:05:51 +0000

Hi Derk!

what I meant about ntop was you could attempt to correlate a high number of alerts found in snort to any data you might have from ntop.

For instance, if you saw a large number of tcp alerts for a given host in snort, you could look at ntop stats and see if the same host seemed to be sending an inordinate amount of tcp traffic. Indeed, this is cludgy, but it may get you one step closer in determining if the snort alert is real or not.

Here is a great diagram that gives an overview of potential sensor placement:

http://www.snort.org/docs/scott_c_sanchez_cissp-ids-zone-theory-diagram.pdf

as far as tuning rules goes, it depends entirely on a lot of variables, and thus, I don't know of a great doc that might help determine how to tune your rulebase.

But using the diagram above as a guide, let's say you were able to deploy 4 sensors. Each would be on a different network segment.

1----internal LAN
2---behind Firewall (gating internet access)
3---on DMZ
4---on admin net

now, each sensor would have a different rulebase, specific only to the hosts, OS's, and apps that are expected to be seen on each network. This would be a good starting point.

Yet, if you get an alert, you'd still need to examine the actual traffic---the packets---because it is easy to get a false positive on something such as a user pulling a snort acid report over an http connection-----this might trigger a potential "shell code exploit" or "web-traversal" alert simply based on the content of those packets...but they woudn't actually be an attempted shell exploit....they were rules just triggering on the criteria found in the packet.

make sense?

Corey