Snort mailing list archives

RE: Can snort use an unconfigured interface?

From: "Corey Rock" <snort_sigs () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 20:39:30 +0000

Is the NIC initialized? It appears to be down. Yes, you can grab packets in promisicuous mode, but the NIC has to be UP!

If you do ifconfig -a or ifconfig sis0, what do you get? It doesn't need an IP, but does need to be configured to have drivers loaded, and to be 'UP' and RUNNING.

Pcap can't open a NIC that's not running, which it looks like you have.....

(don't know BSD that well, but there must be some startup scripts for the NIC, on Linux it's /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts)

make sure the NIC is set to "onboot=yes"

[root@pleiades root]# more  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=x.x.x.x