Snort mailing list archives

Re: About to setup snort

From: "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste () smxy org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:38:12 -0400

Truax, Shawn (MBS) wrote:

You might run into some issues with those HUBs.  Depending on the amount of
traffic you have on your network you may run into some heavy collision
situations.  Before you go all crazy and install the whole solution I would
put in one of the HUBs and see how things run for a day or so.  If users
start calling up complaining about performance or connectivity you may have
to invest in some taps or switchs that have span ports.  Another option for
you may be the  Do-It-Yourself Tap instructions on the Snort Website.  If
you have trouble with the Hubs try those.  I wouldn't recommend them for
high traffic areas but they may be good enough for you and get you somewhere
that is better than a HUB but cheaper then the new switches.

James Edwards wrote:

> Well, yuck. Test this. Once a local host gets an infection
> that makes a lot of traffic you will see why this is a bad idea.

I understand that the hubs are a sub-optimal solution, but I'm told we simply cannot afford anything else, at the moment. I'll look at the Do-It-Yourself Tap. Thankfully, though, we have very low traffic here.

        -ste