Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and high performance networks

From: Chris Rapier <rapier () psc edu>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:12:52 -0400

Esler, Joel - Contractor wrote:
How much snort can handle is alone based on RAM, Processor, harddrive
space, .. physical limitations.  I have had a 486 on 3 x 24 mgbs
circuits, over 4 Class B's worth of address space and it handled it
fine.

Well, this is exactly what I'm trying to find out. Is there a machine thats powerful enough, within the bounds of reasonability, that will allow snort to handle sustained traffic of 3.5 million pps (not including ACKs) and still have a useful ruleset? Do we even have to maintain a 100% sampling rate or can we get by with 75% or 50% or even 10%? Can snort handle bonded GigE channels without a problem (I would think so but ya never know)?

Look, I know this probably sounds like someone trolling. I mean, how many people are actually sitting on top of this much network capacity that isn't a 1st tier provider with the ability to just throw money at the problem? Well, that would be us (www.psc.edu and www.ncne.net).

Right now we're pushing out 800Mbit single stream tcp flows as a matter of course (and can get above a Gbit without too much hassle) but we never really dedicated our resources to building really strong security (in terms of IDSes and the like)- then there was that incident not so long ago that shut down the Grid for a while (some of you might have read about it, it was CNN). Now every supercomputing facility and teragrid site is scrambling to get their security up to snuff. The problem is that we all run on grant money and redirecting resources is super difficult. So we need to try and do as much as we can with as little money as we can. Which is why if we can use snort - even possibleya snort cluster - we'd like to. Thats why I'm here - might as well start with the experts and see if they have good insight.

chris