Snort mailing list archives

(no subject)

From: "Finney Charles E" <FinneyCharlesE () JohnDeere com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:18:16 -0600

I understand the explanation.  Sort of.  However:
1. As icmp echo replies, I have the expectation that the replies contain the echo request data.  The pre-processor did
not alert on any echo requests, so why replies?  BTW, the MTU is 1500 end-to-end, so the fragmentation was done by the
src host in each direction, not intervining routers.

2. Given a "Total Length" field at ip[2:2] with a max value of 65535, what transpires to give > 65535?  If the src does
not support > 65507 the an error is returned and no data is sent.  I have no understanding of what will actually
transpire if the src can do > 65507 and the dst cannot.

3. What am I missing in interpretation of the packet that points to trouble as a function of offset 35520?  My trusty
calculator shows 35520 div 8 = 4440, looks like all the numbers comply with the rfcs.  Yes/No?  Or are you simply
saying crafted ping traffic with these kinds of sizes are trouble?

4. No, we haven't upgraded anywhere.  A lab project for sure - typical in up to our eyeballs problem.

Thanks,
Charlie